A nurse has been suspended from apply after a listing of failures relating to patients in his care at a Teesside hospital belief.
Jay Linus Fuentes labored as a workers nurse on the North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust between November 2017 and November 2018.
The registered grownup nurse appeared earlier than a Nursing and Midwifery Council misconduct and lack of competence listening to earlier this month.
Panel members heard he ‘struggled to carry out probably the most primary of nursing abilities’ reported by plenty of workers working with him.
An inventory of 20 allegations was raised on the listening to. Mr Fuentes admitted the bulk, however denied two.
Specific allegations towards him raised on the listening to included:
- Consistently failing to comply with belief insurance policies relating to affected person identification, checking allergic reactions and totally finishing medicine rounds
- Consistently failing to full all affected person observations, present care, danger assessments and poor report protecting.
- Needed fixed prompting to monitor patients and precisely report considerations.
- Routinely failing to be certain patients had acquired their required diet and fluids or present any management relating to patients in his care.
- Not totally finishing affected person data, lacking info in danger assessments and shedding a handover sheet containing confidential affected person info within the canteen.
We ship a each day e-newsletter day by day – plus breaking information alerts – on the most recent information, up to the minute tales, newest info on coronavirus and the most recent Middlesbrough FC soccer tales.
Just click on this link to our e-newsletter sign-up kind and choose which you would like to obtain.
- On one event referring to patients with dementia as “loopy”, failing to deal with them with care, dignity, respect and empathy.
- During a shift in July 2018, he was requested to change a dressing and arrange a trolley to do it. It was alleged he grabbed the closest trolley and didn’t guarantee it was sterilised.
- Dishonesty allegations had been additionally raised relating to an incident in October 2018 when requested by the ward sister to give medicine to a affected person. The listening to was informed he failed to accomplish that and mentioned he’d requested one other nurse to do it when the truth is, he hadn’t.
Mr Fuentes, initially from the Phillippines, was current on the listening to, which was held nearly between March 1 and March 8 by the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s Fitness to Practise Committee.
The listening to was informed: “Wide ranging considerations had been raised about your medical care, communication abilities, therapy of patients relating to empathy and dignity, organisation and time administration.
“It was additionally famous that you’d make the identical errors repeatedly, regardless of receiving in depth help and steering.
“Additional considerations had been raised about your skilled conduct and mannerisms. Specifically that you’d giggle regularly in entrance of patients, smile inappropriately, maintain a chunk of paper in entrance of your face to cover the truth that you had been guffawing.”
The listening to was informed the belief issued Mr Fuentes with a warning and an motion plan was put in place, an extra warning adopted and then he was dismissed from his put up in November 2018.
Mr Fuentes gave proof in his defence. He informed the listening to he believed the distinction in tradition was the primary trigger for his failings and when he first got here to the UK, he wasn’t assured talking to English and was afraid to ask for assist as it will harm his pleasure.
He additionally mentioned he bottled up his feelings which contributed to his poor efficiency.
He additionally didn’t be part of a union when he got here to the UK.
Since leaving Teesside, he has began a job at Askham Village Community between Peterborough and Cambridge in April 2020 as a healthcare assistant and described it as a brand new starting, progressing to grow to be a supernumerary nurse.
He mentioned he has accomplished on-line coaching programs in dementia care, management, communication, an infection management, assertiveness and medicines administration and has since regained his ardour for nursing.
The panel dominated he had breached the nursing code of conduct with actions that ‘fell considerably quick’ of the requirements anticipated of a registered nurse.
Mr Fuentes was issued with a suspension order for 3 months with a evaluate on the finish of it.