For anyone that knows Shaun Haney, they know he’s someone who is constantly thinking and evaluating what is going on around him. What has he been thinking about this week?
On this RealAg LIVE! we’ve got a special “Freestyle Friday” where Shaun has an interactive chat with the audience, mixed with clips on his topic for today: taking care of your mental and physical wellness during busy times on the farm.
RealAg LIVE! streams every weekday at 3 pm E on Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter!
- Physical health, and mental health — we need to take care of both. Especially during the busy season
- Getting exercise is supposed to be relaxing (says Shaun, anyways). But we know that’s not always the case
- When it comes to physical and mental health, the key is awareness
- Clip 1: We need to keep talking, even if we’re burnt out: a conversation on mental health
- Being able to talk about these things is so incredibly difficult. There are some really strong people out there — even if you don’t necessarily feel strong.
- If you aren’t ready to share your story, you definitely don’t have to.
- Let’s not get burnt out. It still very much needs to be talked about.
- There is always help somewhere, but it can be such an incredibly isolating feeling.
- There’s a lot of things in agriculture that can be stressful — so how can we cope?
- Exercise? Walking around the sprayer while it’s filling? These small things can make a difference.
- Step away… if you have time to walk away from the stressors, that’s huge
- What helps your neighbour, may not help you. Everyone has their own recipe. Don’t feel like you have to fit the mould.
- We all recharge in different ways. You have to find what helps for you.
- Clip 2: Marilyn Smith, professional health economist
- This one we had to go waaaaay back in the vault to find. One of Shaun’s favourite interviews!
- Eating right is SO difficult. What happens when you eat everything in your lunchbox by 10:00 am when you are busy?
- Unrealistic diets don’t often work.
- Make room for booze and chocolate sometimes.
- It’s all about balance, people. More about trying to lead a healthy life, versus becoming a bodybuilder
- Clip 3: Fit Farmer Podcast
- It’s all about getting that routine start.
- Tow ropes — they can be used for home workouts!
- A lot of the stuff you’d find in a crossfit gym is stuff you can replicate in your farmyard.
- Working out can be more of a mental game than a physical one sometimes. Let’s break barriers together.